These two weeks were not good. I am playing with the format to cover two weeks in one post.
Week 6: 60.4 miles
- Monday: 5.2 mile morning run with Alexis. 6.2 mile treadmill run in the evening.
- Tuesday: 6 mile treadmill run
- Wednesday: 9 miles with 5 x 1 mile
The mile repeats were done at Shelby Bottoms with Greg and Ashley. The goal was to run each rep in 5:52 – 5:45 with 60 seconds jog recovery between them. We went 5:51, 5:51, 5:46, 5:45, 5:32. Even the last one felt easy.
- Thursday: 6.1 miles around Belmont / Music Row with Greg.
- Friday: 4.6 on the treadmill.
- Saturday: Hot Chocolate 15k in 56:44. This was not a good race. I was originally going to run the 5k, but moved up to the 15 b/c I thought it would be better training. The goal was to run my goal HMP and run this in about 54:00. The first 2 miles were dead on, but then I started to struggle on the hills on West End. I was in no-mans land the entire time with the 2nd and 3rd place guys 1-2 minutes ahead and the 5th and 6th place guys 1-2 minutes behind me. Mentally this was not good for my confidence.
- Sunday: 12.1 miles easy.
Week 7: 44.2 miles
- Monday: 2.0 on the treadmill. My right hip had been tight for a couple of weeks, but it started to feel really bad on this run. I thought it might loosen up once I got going, but after two miles it was still really painful so I stopped.
- Tuesday: off. If I could only run 2 miles the day before then I needed a rest day.
- Wednesday: I ran East Nasty with Erica. My right hip / leg were still really sore and I struggled to keep up with her at a 9:00 pace. It was really nice to get to run together though. I am looking forward to more of that this Spring.
- Thursday: The plan was to do 10 x 1k alternating between HM pace and 5k pace with 45 sec rests between and then 2 minute rests between blocks. I did the first two with Greg and Ashley and then commented that I felt really lopsided with my right side being so tight and sore. When the both commented that I looked really lopsided too, I became worried that continuing the workout would either make it worse and lead me to hurt something else from compensating. It was about 5 miles for the day.
- Friday: By this point I was starting to feel better with each run. I ran 5.8 miles in the morning with Lee and then 5.6 miles in the evening solo. It felt good to be able to run a double and get some miles in without too much pain.
- Saturday: 9 miles around East Nashville with Greg, Damian, Jay and some others. I still had some soreness, but it wasn’t too bad.
- Sunday: The plan was to run 18 miles with the last 6 alternating between half-marathon pace and marathon pace. Greg and I started with 2 on Belle Meade Blvd and then ran the 11.2. My hip was pretty sore and it was starting to hurt pretty bad in my right foot too. Just after 9-mile hill we started to drop the pace down. After the first mile at HMP I had to bail and let Greg finish the workout solo.This sucked. I hate failing on workouts and this is now two in a row. Could I have pushed through? Probably. Should I have pushed through? Maybe. Did I push through? No. Better safe than sorry? I guess
So, after a couple of bad weeks I am going to have to regroup a little to get back on track. I am trying to figure out what exactly went wrong and what I can do differently so it can’t happen again. Tom King is in two weeks and this was definitely a little setback. Looking forward to Country Music Marathon this won’t have much impact, but I need to put together some solid work to regain some confidence.
The plus side of all this? My consistency has improved so much that even when I am fighting an injury and feel like I am not running at all, I only took one day off.